Made of chick peas Hummus is a great frugal food product. Tastes great on bread, crackers and can be used as a dip. Shop-bought the stuff can be oddly expensive, especially when you go for the brands that pretend to be authentic, classy or very bio-friendly.
Make some at home and have cheap hummus with these hummus recipes.
Included are “Authentic Hummus Recipe” , “Light Hummus Recipe” (with dairy), and “Low Fat Vegan Hummus Recipe.”
At 19 calories per tablespoon the vegan recipe is the lightest. The most frugal too, if you ask me.
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed. (OR soak and cook 6 oz of dried chickpeas)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil (optional)
- 3 tbsp water (if desired)
In food processor, blend chickpeas, lemon juice, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper until smooth. Add water to thin, if desired. Scrape into bowl. Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days.